Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Coffee

My wife got me a Krups coffee grinder and some fair trade espresso coffee beans to play with. Beans are actually scarce in Finland, which seems odd to me. Surely there are enough coffee aficionados around to support some beans in specialty stores? Anyway, this fair trade foodstuffs store sports some beans, but you get no selection: it's the regular or the espresso brand, that's it.

Luckily, I have no qualms over the bean quality. Good stuff! I do not consider myself a coffee elitist, but man, the on-demand grinded coffee is such a big thing. Of course it is simply a very fun ritual to get some beans and grind them yourself, but the aroma of the grinded beans... mmm! I've drank quite a bit of store-packaged espresso grind and dare say it's a whole different thing.

I've used the self-grinded coffee both in an espresso machine and a drip-feed coffeemaker and it works both ways. Recommended! The basic grinder does not cost much, I don't see much use for the fancy version with adjustable grind coarseness and whatnot.

(It was a good christmas, by the by. Can't wait to try out the pasta machine next!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I could swear that I have seen rather good selection of coffee beans sold in some store here. At least there were more to choose from that just mere two different brands.

Oh, no, wait. It was in Budapest.

Unknown said...

Ok, so the link in my previous comment didn't work. It was supposed to poit here: http://deanxiety.blogspot.com/2007/01/this-started-out-as-comment-to-another.html