Thursday, September 14, 2006

Initial efforts

In which I bring you an update in two parts.

One: friends

I reached two old friends of mine in one day. Effort taken: 30 seconds on writing an email, 172 seconds on the phone. Seemed like a worthwhile endeavour; I met with one of them the following day. The other one is living abroad, but we agreed on seeing each other when he visits Finland the next time. We haven't seen in, oh I don't know, around three or four years, despite being good friends in high school.

It was about high time, too: his old university email address wouldn't've worked in two weeks' time. So don't just sit there thinking about maybe trying to reach your old mates one day - do it today!

Sitting down with my college buddy yesterday, I took it upon me to arrange a meeting with the rest of the class, too. Well, the ones we can still reach, anyway.

I've actually set myself some social rules to ensure I don't lapse back into a working coma any more.

Two: sports

I told everyone at work that I'd go running yesterday, just to generate some pressure on myself. In the end, I didn't, as I couldn't bother to after a heavy dinner and a couple of beers. I did go today, though.

Sticking to my plan, I did a 5-5-5 running routine. It turned out that it takes me exactly five minutes to walk to the park and warm up in the process, another five minutes to run around the park, and of course a further five minutes to walk back home. With the shape I'm in, it's enough to start with. I was winded, but not exhausted.

With such a quick exercise, I'm thinking I might get into a habit of running before work. For now, I'm sticking to a twice a week minimum, but I'm really pretty psyched about this.

No comments: