Monday, September 11, 2006

Sports

We talked about running the other night. I went on a "let off steam" type of run a couple of weeks ago and discovered that I'm in rather poor shape - no big surprise there, I haven't had any exercise in ages. I must've been winded for an hour afterwards. I did go to the gym during last spring, though, but somehow I dropped that along the way.

This is precisely the kind of "numbing" I meant in the introductory post; stuff just flows into a routine, where the loss of some detail or other - sports, friends, acquintances, hobbies - doesn't feel like much in the day to day grind, but you end up much poorer. I'm hoping that since putting these developments up here means that I need to process them, maybe I won't let it all slide.

Now, some of my friends have picked up running this year. They're doing this interval training program where you begin with only a couple of minutes at a time, gradually working your way to 10 km (6.2 miles. Get metrical already) runs. That sounds like my kind of thing. I can spare half an hour or so (to begin with) a couple of times a week. As it happens, there's a nice track through the woods and a park right outside my front door.

So beginning this week, I'm going running. At least twice a week, preferably three times. My first goal is to be able to run to the nearby train station and back, a 3.2 km roundtrip.

No comments: