Monday, September 18, 2006

Movement of the mind

Running is fun. I didn't think it would be so much fun. The weird thing is, it gets inside your head. I've now ran on four consecutive days, and I feel energized - my mind is on the move. The physical act of propelling yourself forward is just very enjoyable. This is coming from a couch-dweller, mind, maybe this wouldn't be such a revelation to many people.

The five minutes of walking followed by five minutes of running (jogging), followed by five minutes of wind-down walking seems very good to me. I get mighty sweaty, but my muscles don't protest at all, and I don't have real trouble breathing. My plan is to keep doing this every other day until it feels too easy, at which point I'll likely look into a ready-made running program for beginners. Or I'll just start increasing the running distance a little bit every week.

I'm enjoying my runs so much that I'd like to run every day, but unfortunately even the fifteen-minute exercise is too much of a daily dose. Since yesterday my butt's been aching, even though I've stretched my legs post-running. And I had trouble running softly yesterday, probably due to muscles being tired. So every other day it is.

No comments: